Friday, December 21, 2012

Breaking Size Barriers In Fashion

I'm wanting to do more fashion posts in the new year.  I've had lot's of comments lately on my outfits.  I don't consider myself a diva or anything but I've started to love this new hobby.  It is really just artistic expression. I don't have a lot of money to spend on clothes and accessories though and I know a lot of people don't these days so I want to share what I pull off on a very frugal budget.  Years of little kids and just avoiding a run to the store with burp up on me are over now and I'm actually realizing I'm more of a girlie girl than I thought.
I want to share tips like this one I'll share today:

Don't get stuck in your size!!!

When shopping don't always go for your size category   Let the clothes speak to you.  Now, of course some things don't go over your hips and that is that.  Still, other possibilities are out there!  Especially if you are bargain shopping at places like Ross or clearance shopping and especially thrift shopping. I was recently at a thrift store and snagged one sweater I was thinking I'd give to my teen daughter because it was a small small but I was sad because it was an awesome Guess sweater.  I paid $3 for it.  I got home and thought, well, I try it on.  She has a ton of clothes and a new fur lined nice sweatshirt she is attached to.  So, I put it on and it was snug in the arms but it looked great!  Many times sweaters can be used as coverings that remain open and therefore you can wear a size or two smaller and you will get an even better fitted look on the top.  If the buttons do go over your bust, don't freak out!  If it's a style and color you love and it's a frugal find, use it open with things.

This is another great example.  I apologize for the bad picture.  I had no one to take a full picture of me.  This top spoke to me.  It said "I am awesome, I'm so pretty!  I'm only 16 bucks and on you, I'm a dress!"  See, it's a size 2X.  It is from Forever 21 Plus and I found it at Ross.  It is not my size.  However, the top has small shoulders and an elastic neckline that can stretch for some larger lovely lady or scrunch up for me or frankly even someone smaller.  Which hopefully will be me too at some point! lol  I do try to think ahead to fluxing sizes as we women experience this wonderful phenomena.  The arms are mid length and made with a widening flap that just looks flow-y on me.  It is made to scrunch at the waist with lots of room in the tummy for a larger gal.  For me it made a tube dress.  I paired it with capri brown leggings from Forever 21 for five bucks and my all time favorite winter boots that I wear almost every day in the fall and winter.  I found those at the goodwill.

Cheap accessories (or some nice special ones on occasion) are the other have to.  I have a simple long necklace from Forever 21 that cost $4 and a ring I found there on clearance recently for $3.  A long necklace and a big middle finger ring can really add a punch to your outfit.  I love it anyway.

Of course a nice gold holiday polish doesn't hurt either.  :)


So, come back in the new year if you want to get some frugal ideas.  We all have our own style for sure but I do think some of the tips I've learned can be carried over to what speaks to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment