Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Insane Beauty Tip I'm Trying

I've hated my skin since the middle if seventh grade. The minute my face started to break out my fix- it dad got right on it, or so he thought, setting up a regiment for me. Unfortunately, though he meant well, his methods were the opposite of what my skin needed and it got worse. He had me hot soak for many minutes and then wash (even with Lava soap at one time which makes me cringe right now) and then cold soak.  The result was that my skin would explode with oil and break out more.  I suppose I should thank him for helping me develop a deeper sense of security and lessening the attention of boys at that age lol, but still I kind of wish I could go back ESPECIALLY NOW.

So, It's been a battle for me.  As I've gotten older I have even more combination skin.  It's a visious cycle of getting rid of oil only to have the dry parts of my skin get too dry.  I also have a severe low immunity to the cold sore virus and can get it on my cheeks, lips and chin when my skin gets mad enough either from dryness or extreme temps.  Add to that I have olive skin and scar so easily and you can see my battle.  Now that I'm 35, I'm starting to react to the sun with sun spots or age spots or hormone spots, whatever you call them, they are annoying.  About two years ago at a church camp out I got badly burned because it was so cold and windy, I did not think of being careful.  My forehead has been scared badly from the sunspots that gave me every since.  Another symptom of age it would seem was the red lines on the side of my nose.  I hear they are broken capillaries.  I've had those for about five years that I've noticed anyway.

I'd kind of settled though.  I mean, what do you do?  I've tried all kinds of products including Proactive which really ticked off my skin.  I've stayed away from anything with the word oil in it, on it, or around it lol.  So, imagine my surprise when I see a link for something called the "Oil Cleansing Method" on Pinterest as a cure for skin problems of all kinds including acne.  I was of course completely floored.  Especially because you actually wash with straight oil.  The before and after pictures however were amazing and the more I researched it, the more it seemed to work.  It seemed to be this hidden natural beauty secret. 

Honestly, at any other time in my life I'd not have been brave enough to try it.  I mean come on, I've been avoiding oil for upwards of 25 years!  Still, when you have tried it all you may as well try something new.  So, a week ago I started.  See the links for info on the details and recommended ratios but this is what I've done:

  • 75% Caster Oil and 25% Extra Virgin Olive oil
  • Quarter size in the palm of my hand, rub it into my hands and all over my face and upper neck.  (I cannot tell you how scared I was the first time I did this!!!LOL)
  • Rub for a min or two
  • Heat a CLEAN washcloth very hot, ring out and lay on face.  Let sit for about a min.
  • Re-heat washcloth and gently wipe off oil, heating again as needed till all the oil is wiped off.  You are not supposed to scrub but gently wipe.
(I'm now placing the hot cloth on my face for a few seconds before the initial wash)
    The science behind it is that oil removes oil. So you open your pores, and use good oils to clean out old oil and dirt and hydrate your face all at the same time.  Your face won't have to work hard to produce more oil and your skin can rest in a sense.  Caster oil is a natural healer and cleanser.  Read the links for more. (pics are make up free)
    The first time I did it, my skin felt awesome afterwards and looked better all ready in the morning.  However, by day three I had a few breakouts.  I looked it up and read that some of the bad oils and dirt will need a few days to work out of the pours so though I was scared again and wanted to stop, I decided to stick with it.  I've been doing it for a whole week and this morning I really noticed a difference!  Even the little breakout from the clarifying process is healing so fast! 

    The red capillaries on my nose are going away!  The sunburn scars on my forehead are looking better. 
    The pores on my skin look healthier. My forehead is smoother than I've ever seen it. This is me right after waking up all no makeup.

    I took some outside in the van because that light is usually the least flattering.


    On the left you can see what is left of the sunburn scar. It is so much better though! I've been trying to cover it up for a long time when I put on foundation.
    Somehow there is an even glow in my skin that I've never seen quite honestly. It's astounding.

    I'm still a little scared but I'm going to keep it up for a month and then add using an apple cider/water astringent as well.  I want to give this enough time to see just what it will do. 
    I'll try to update how it goes.

    2 comments:

    1. I've heard of this method too! I have done it once or twice, but I don't really have skin trouble other than dryness, so I'm a bit nervous to mess with something that's not broken. I've always only washed my face with water (and sometimes soap, but that's drying so I don't normally).

      If our daughters have acne trouble, we're going to try this first!

      Definitely keep us updated.

      What's an apple cider/water stringent?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Tammy, it says it's great for all skin types and if you have dryer skin, you just use more evoo.
      The stringent is just a solution of apple cider vinegar and water. You also make that yourself. Rub it on your skin with a cotton ball. I've not tried it yet though.

      ReplyDelete