Thursday, July 19, 2012

Giving Sensa A Try

Well 35 has not been good for me. I have felt my body really get old this year.  I've put on 15 lbs in the last year (which was a bummer because I had lost 10 the year before.  I've started exercising more, eat better and still have struggled badly.
My thing too is not the scale.  I just want to feel good.  However, the weight is making my heels really hurt after exercise.  Some mornings I wake up and can barely walk because my heels feel bruised.  I have more aches and pains and my energy levels have been really low, even with adding exercise.
I'm not one for doing products for dieting.  I'm very much a naturalist.  Years ago, the only way I really ever lost weight (and mind you, I was 115 when I got married but pregnancy did me wrong) was between my first two kids and using Metabolife.  It contained ephedra which is a strong stimulate.  It did keep me moving though (bordering jittery) and it really curbed my appetite.  Eventually Metabolife was taken off the market because some people had health issues.  I read of one mom who was in her early thirties and had a heart attack while on the treadmill.  It was scary even when you used it right. I'm thankful it's not around.  I was in my early 20's then and my body could handle it.  I don't think it would now.  It did work though and I lost 30 lbs.
Now I'm once again willing to try a product I'm hearing a great deal about.  Over vacation I did a lot of research on it.  At first it seemed like a food wasting issue though (I'll explain) and I don't like to waste food. I was also worried about what EXACTLY the ingredients were and how EXACTLY it works.

So, today I tried it for the first time.

The way Sensa works is  that you sprinkle it on your food.  Created by a doctor of neurology, Sensa is basically inhaled through your nose as you eat and tells your brain you are satiated.  There is one for salty foods and one for sweet.  You simple don't feel you need to eat anymore soon after you start eating.  I was worried this would be a nausea feeling, but it's not.
I had a chicken salad to try it out on for lunch.  I had about two cups of salad on my plate.  Mostly greens, then chicken cubes, dried cranberries, walnuts, and some feta and dressing.  I sprinkled on the sweet Sensa because I won't use that as much and in my mind, a salad with fruit could go either way.  I started eating.  I made a point to smell my food as I ate knowing that was how this works.  For the first few moments I could tell nothing.  I could taste no funny flavors...nada.  Then, about half way through my plate I was suddenly done.  I did not feel a puffy stomach full, I just felt done.  I did not feel nauseated or like my food grossed me out, just done.  It was the most definitive feeling, neither good or bad, just DONE.
My concern had been that if I sprinkled this on my food, I did not want to throw the rest away.  It says you can eat leftovers, but you have to sprinkle new Sensa as the product looses power after a while.  You also want to eat right after you sprinkle.  So, I guess I will start with even smaller portions.  I can eat my salad leftovers later I just have to re-sprinkle.  Honestly, I don't want to have to do that often because the product is not cheap.  So, I will dish a lot less next time.
I'm blown away at the results just from the first time eating.

You can read about exactly what is in it here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/98962-ingredients-sensa-diet/
and of course they have a website.

I do feel like I'm my own guinea pig at this point but I'm wanting to try it out.  I plan to post the progress.
(Please note: I'm not being paid by Sensa to do this.  I wish I were!  If it's bad...you will be told)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are trying this so I can learn from your experience! I've considered using it, but wasn't willing to shell out money for an unknown. I'm glad it's worked well for you so far! I look forward to hearing more about how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'll sure let you know. It is pricy but it's for two months at a time. Many programs are $40 a month, this was $45. If it works I'll not regret the price. In my mind, it's a matter of being able to maintain after the goal. I'll worry about that once I'm there.

    ReplyDelete