Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mama Fashion: AKA How To Dress Up A Chubby

A fun thing happens when your have girls and they start to grow up, you catch up on fashion a bit lol.  I am a strange shopper though.  I rarely buy anything off the rack.
For years I was a Goodwill shopper.  That became lame for the most part when prices went up and I could do better at Target clearance and Kohls clearance.  I also went through some pretty strange thrift store fashion statements.  I think my worst one was when I thought it was more holy of me to wear long skirts all the time.  Rick asked me to wear pants so that was that.  I love that man!
I also grew up as a tom boy so looking pretty was not on my mind till my late teens.  I was not allowed to wear nail polish till I was 16 and my grandma snuck me to get my ears pierced when I was in college.  So, yeah, I didn't bother much till then.  My late teen fashion spurt was short lived  as I had my honeymoon baby nine months after getting married... I was 20.  Back then fashionable maternity or nursing wear did not exist. Then, I went through years of feeling frumpy, and not really sure what I liked.  Mostly, I had three young kids and didn't have time to think about it.  It was going to get spit up or pooped on so why did it matter?
Now, I'm not claiming to be a fashion diva here, I'm just saying I'm having more fun with it.

See I've put a few lbs on since taking a desk job (insert sad face for me please, thank you).  I'm sure being 35 does not help that.  It's not like I'm a couch potato either, I work out a few times a week and we walk as a family when the evenings get longer.

My first reaction was sheer frustration.  That only makes it worse though.  I don't want to be perfect, I want to look good for my husband, and I want to feel good in my own skin.  That is all I need.  So here are a few things I've found that help my chubby self:

  • Low cut pants- I use to think these were the curse of this generation on mom's.  I kept hearing that these make you look thin but for me they just would not allow me to bend over.  Sure they were elongating and did not cut into my tummy when I sat down but I'm not into vulgar when I sit either! The solution was found in my next fashion must have....
  • Tanks-  I rarely wear them solo, though I probably should.  I consider them a layer piece.  I get them when they are cheap and keep a bunch of colors.  Now days they help you get to wear the unwearable.  So many tops are immodestly low.  Start to look at tops with new possiblities when you know you have your tanks in your back pocket! Get the long ones you can tuck in your low jeans, throw a shirt over that and you have solved your low jean problem!   (Oh, and keep an eye for Target coupon deals on the sites, this shirt here was only $3 after I waited for a sale and used a coupon!)    It's so comfortable too.  I use some "Fat Free Dressing" tanks when I find them on clearance or at Ross.  They are SOOO helpful!
  • Long Necklaces-  A few that are casual, a few dressy, always grab cheap.  Your best bet is Kohls clearance and Forever 21.  Victoria and I LOVE a trip to F21 for some cheap accessories!  Long necklaces elongate your figure and when you are chubby, that is a good thing. Get ones that are very transferable, and not too many in specific color requirements. I sometimes wear more than one, like here.  This is actually a REALLY long one wrapped twice adn my favorite bird cage necklace I probably wear too much (I adore bird cages!)   Last year was the year of the earring for me. Clearance sales at Kohls helped feed that with awesome selections for a buck or two. This year is the year of the necklace it would seem (are we not all thinking Guy De Maupassant now!?)

This picture makes me look way more trim than I am.  I'm flattered it turned out so well, I should figure out how I twisted my hips there and do that more often! lol

  • Loose the Tennies- unless I need them for comfort, I don't wear tennis shoes with jeans anymore.  UNLESS they are converse.  I don't do those often either.  To finish the casual dressy look I use sandles, thongs or one inch comfy heals. I know some mom's do comfy Mary Jane's too.  A little bit of foot fancy can make you feel much better!  
Many of us are in that stage of life where we are not ready to look like our grandma, but we sure can't do the skinny jeans our teen girls are in either.  Putting some effort into getting cute and comfortable helps us just be happier mom's.  Should we still have a gracious attitude in sweats and burp up?  Sure, but come one now, you have to admit.....it's harder!  

USE THE MAGIC YOU HAVE PEOPLE.....;)



4 comments:

  1. Great post! I feel like I've really found my own fashion in the past few years. For me, dressing up always seems like a lie (just for me... not anyone who dresses up). I'm just not that fancy of a person. I prefer my jeans, Superman t-shirt, a funky sweater, converse kicks, and piggy tails. :) I totally agree that how we dress can affect our mood. I'm all for getting cute and comfortable! Glad you've found your groove, too! You wear it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin, I love your style too and it fits you! Hey, I am wanting to highlight your blog here soon. I was kind of waiting to get some roll going first. I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That would be an honor! Feel free to do with it whatever you want.

      Delete
  3. Ughhh!!! 35 is the h.a.r.d.e.s.t. age to shop for! I am so over it at this point. It seems either I'm faced with completely inappropriate (for any age really--don't even get me started on shopping for my teenage daughter!) in the junior's section...or completely frumpy in the women's. So right now I live in jeans and a tshirt with no pizzaz. Blah!

    Your tank and necklace ideas are great though and you've looked really cute in several pics lately! I don't have any confidence in picking jewelry. Oh and I saw these belly band thingies in Walmart the other day. Kinda like the newer maternity idea but for not pregnant lol. Same idea as the tank for the back of your jeans. 2 pk of black and white. Doesn't help cleavage tho...

    ...Karen

    ReplyDelete