Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Why Coupon? Part 3: Keep It Simple

In this series:
Why Coupon?
Why Coupon? Part 2: Your Hired!

The biggest problem with coupons is it's madness snare. In fact, I found it humorous that there was even an episode of Bones based on coupon crazy women.

Here are a few guidelines I use to keep it simple:


  • Skim The Surface- coupon deals can be a BOTTOMLESS PIT!  Don't fall in it.  Get the good stuff and only the others if you really need them. 
  • Use the 1-2-3 Rule-  mine have to fall into three categories most of the time.  1) Is it something I need or use anyway (not 20 years from now either).  2) Is it on sale or a reward deal? 3) Do I have a coupon?  This method allows for triple the value to me.  
  • Narrow Your Baseline-  I'm just getting back into this so yes, right now, I'm snagging some name brand body washes, toothpaste and such for a buck or so.   Soon, however I will have my stash piled a bit and I can afford to SIT and WAIT for a better deal.  For instance, last week, I got a great deal on Dial hand wash for .29 ea.  Now, that I have 8 of them, I'll sit and set my baseline at anything that price or less.  Soon, you will be only taking in free or nearly free items.  Be okay with starting with a discounted stash.  
  • Resist The Temptation To Overstock- especially on items you don't use often or that will expire. 
  • I Am Not Running A Charity- some people are, and that is great!  Perhaps I will be someday but for now, I'm not doing all this homework and running to stores to donate items.  Don't feel you have to do the deal just to not let the deal pass.  IF you don't wear contacts, don't go get free contact solution just to give it to someone.  Let your friends do their own homework.  This is a cruel rule I have for myself because I use to do a ton for my neighbor and I became over committed.  If I'm doing the deal anyway I may grab some for someone I know wants it or needs it.  If you are at a different place in life this can be an AMAZING ministry!  Do, definitely do.  
  • Keep a Budget- I've not been good at this the last few weeks.  This next paycheck I'm switching to cash so I can do better at this.  It's easy, when you do a lot of transactions to loose track.  I am also going to be tracking my savings more. 
  • Notice Your Inventory!-  My husband and I had over a thousand books when we first got married.  We loved book sales.  Eventually we noticed we were buying discounted books....WE ALL READY HAD!  Don't do the same with couponing.  Check your inventory of food and toiletries often!
  • Less Is More!-  Yes, even here.  Once in the free zone, watch out with collecting.  If you have enough for a few months (or a year!) skip it.  The stress of clutter is a heavy problem for you psyche.  Don't become one of those crazy people!  

Tomorrow I will do my last post in this series.  It will just be on how I do things.  It will be simple.  For more info on how to get started, I suggest you go here.  

I may be doing some weekly show and tell's however as I go.  I always find those inspirational.  

No comments:

Post a Comment